Sunday, December 03, 2006

Faith Based Criminal Reform?

Before I link to this scary goodness, does anyone else remember when the R's in the world were just FREAKING out about Cassius Clay becoming a Muslim. They were alll over it, claiming he did it ONLY to avoid the draft.

Or the disdain The Decider gave Karla Faye Tucker after her conversion to Christianity and subsequent plea?


In the weeks before the execution, Bush says, a number of protesters came to
Austin to demand clemency for Karla Faye Tucker. "Did you meet with any of
them?" I ask. Bush whips around and stares at me. "No, I didn't meet with any of
them," he snaps, as though I've just asked the dumbest, most offensive question
ever posed. "I didn't meet with Larry King either when he came down for it. I
watched his interview with Tucker, though. He asked her real difficult questions
like, 'What would you say to Governor Bush?'" "What was her answer?" I wonder.
"'Please,'" Bush whimpers, his lips pursed in mock desperation, "'don't kill
me.'" I must look shocked — ridiculing the pleas of a condemned prisoner who has
since been executed seems odd and cruel — because he immediately stops smirking.


So, how the HELL do they get away with this?

Ark.
begins faith-based inmate program


By ANDREW DeMILLO, Associated Press Writer Fri Dec 1, 12:09 PM
ET
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - Arkansas correction officials are dedicating a
Bible-based program for female prisoners, but a national group said it's a risky
move while a similar system is being challenged in federal court.
Forty-nine
women have enrolled in the InnerChange Freedom Initiative at the Wrightsville
prison, which officials will dedicate Friday.
Under the program, inmates live
in a separate unit and attend classes on subjects including computer skills and
anger management. They also participate in religious devotionals.

My guess would be that they don't give a shit how it looks,
so they're just giving money to the faith-based initives in exchange for votes.


There's a word for that

No comments: