Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Saturday Night Loser's Club, Vol. XXV: Michigan Punk Edition

Cross posted at Daily Kos.

First, let me advise you (in case you didn't notice) that I am not chingchongchinaman.
In parlance equal to the discourse this evening......

If this is chingchongchinaman....

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Ludwig van Beethoven (pronounced [ˈbeː.to.vən]) (baptized December 17, 1770[1] - March 26, 1827) was a German composer and pianist. He is generally regarded as one of the greatest composers in the history of music, and was the predominant figure in the transitional period between the Classical and Romantic eras in Western classical music. His reputation and genius have inspired--and in many cases intimidated--ensuing generations of composers, musicians, and audiences.

Then this is equal to paddy......

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Joan Marie Larkin (born September 22, 1958) is an American rock and roll guitarist, singer, and actress best known for her hit "I Love Rock 'N Roll," which was #1 on the Billboard charts from March 20 to May 8 of 1982.


As you may know from my previous stab at SNLC, I grew up in Miami FL in the 70's,
so I arrived knee deep in the middle of Bob Seger Land Central©1973 (aka Michigan) in 1978.
Unprepared for the onslaught of Rush, REO Speedwagon and Styx I succumbed.
But only for a short while.


Punk rock is an anti-establishment rock music movement with origins in the United Kingdom and United States around 1974-1975, exemplified by bands such as the Ramones, the Sex Pistols, The Damned, and The Clash.

The term punk is used to describe the associated subculture, involving youthful aggression, specific clothing styles, ideologies, and a DIY (do it yourself) attitude. Historically the cities of London, New York City, Washington DC, and Los Angeles have been punk's breeding grounds.


Yeah it was Grand Rapids Michigan in 1978, but believe it or not there really was a "punk scene".
Had a friend who played in a horrible band called "Toxic Scott and the Syndromes" (ew),
saw X, The Clash and many more that I can't remember at the moment.
(Senility or residual brain damage? You be the judge.)

Out of all the music I've listened to so far in my life, I can honestly say that punk & new wave effected me the most. I was young enough to enjoy late nites & partying, but old enough to be (relatively) sensible about it. My ex-hubby was and is extremely unconventionable about his music and whether for good or bad, he was an influence. (how many people do you know who hung out with the Stooges & MC5 in Ann Arbor? hmmm?)

Last album I bought was Rancid, I loved Green Day when they weren't cool so I'd guess that except for an occasional foray into Funk, I'm just a PUNK kinda girl.*oops, a LOSER punk kinda girl*

No comments: